Monday, March 14, 2016

Glacier Park Forest Fire, August, 1969

Glacier Park Forest Fire, August, 1969

I worked for the concession in Glacier National Park the summers of 1968 and 1969.   This gave me a chance to spend two summers, hike many trails and see the ever-changing landscape of this marvelous place.   Toward the end of my second summer, my parents were visiting and we went touring.  We came across a small forest fire being fought roughly 3 miles downhill from Logan Pass beside and uphill from the Going-to-the-Sun Road.






My family looks back at the fire after passing it by.


The smoke still showed several miles further down the road.


We found ourselves trapped on the wrong side of Logan Pass when the road was closed behind us so we were forced to drive the long route around the south of the park so I could return to work at Lake McDonald Lodge and my parents to their pop-up trailer at Avalanche Campground.  I think this photo was taken just before setting off on the twisting road south.   Glacier has many faces, this being an unusual but beautiful example. 

No comments:

Post a Comment