Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Vietnam Polaroids

Vietnam Polaroids


In my day, long ago, it wasn't selfies, it was Polaroids.  Sometime in the first half of 1971, one of the guys liberated some Army Polaroid film and took pictures of some of the other enlisted men one evening in our Public Information Office.   I didn't use these pictures in my book - to informal I thought - but they're kind of fun.  Don "Mortimer" Fry was the photographer but didn't get out from behind the camera.

  

This was our comparatively swanky office - note the air conditioner on the wall and the fan - cooling the air to 80 degrees or so.  I'm sitting on the chair.


I'm on the left with Big Al in the center and a soldier I can't identify on the right.   The Polaroid didn't develop quite right here.


This is my favorite gag picture.  The sign is cute but I like all the other details more.  This is the only picture of my flirtation with smoking and cigars.


Although much appreciated, the air conditioner simply couldn't keep up with the heat so we often ran around without shirts.  Greg Goodwin and I apparently were looking at something.   Polaroid film was fast enough to take these low-light pictures and would develop in a short time, allowing people to see results immediately.  But being the photo snob that I am,  I preferred the hassle of a regular film camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment