Friday, April 8, 2016

Glacier National Park 2014

Glacier National Park 2014


As readers have undoubtedly realized by now, I adore Glacier Park and return to it often to absorb more of its beauty.  Two years ago we took part of our family with us; several of the newcomers had never seen the mountains.   Because we had a small tyke with us, we didn't take big hikes and although we enjoyed the great vistas, we looked at the smaller life in the park too.



Visiting Glacier wasn't an original idea - we had considerable company.  Logan Pass at the top of the Going to the Sun road was packed with jammer buses and other vehicles.  


We took the Hidden Lake hike behind and above the visitors' center at Logan Pass.


Us hardier souls reached the Hidden Lake overlook.


Chipmunks scurried around, shadowing tourists.


Mountain goats ambled about and watched us.


The Avalanche Lake hike is well worth it - the wall shown here below Sperry Glacier is quite a site.


I hadn't seen a coyote in the park before this.  This fellow went loping beside our car - I stuck my head out of the window to catch this shot of him.


This is part of our family including our grandson.  I'm the guy on the right.



I caught this bear from a sight-seeing boat in the middle of a lake near Many Glacier Chalet.  This looks like a black bear to me although I'm no expert.  I was nice and safe, roughly a half mile away.


This is the bulk of our family coming back to the parking lot after visiting the Many Glacier Lodge.   There were forest fires farther west - the haze was smoke.


Part of my time in Glacier was spent chasing birds, this one a sparrow.


I also spent time chasing insects, this butterfly a great spangled fritilary,


Running Eagle Falls in the Two Medicine area of Glacier is a short walk from the road and picturesque.


The Two Medicine area, shown here, was a long ways from Lake McDonald Lodge where I worked in the late 1960s so I saw little of it until recently.

There is always something striking to be found in Glacier.  This is part of what we saw in 2014.  And based on all the fellow tourists we saw, this jewel of a park is a poorly-kept secret.

No comments:

Post a Comment